Finished Reading: Beating Guns by Shane Claiborne & Michael Martin

I want to preface this post with the following facts: I grew up in Texas, my grandfather was a member of the NRA, and I’ve never held a gun in my life. Beating Guns is a collaborative book written by Shane Claiborne and Michael Martin. Mike attends our church here in Colorado Springs & founded [...]

Sustainability | Reducing Waste during the Holidays

Tis the season for wrapped gifts in bags, with bows, and boxes under a tree... but unfortunately, that pretty shiny, laminated gift wrap paper is, in fact, not recyclable. And to include it in the bin with other paper products can make an entire load unrecyclable. If wrapping paper is metallic, or glittery, or has a [...]

Walk for Freedom | 2018 Colorado Springs

I'm not sure where I get my strong sense of fairness and ethics. I'm always surprised when I meet people and I get into my strong ethics they ask if I was ever in animal rescue. Yeah? Why? My strong love for justice for the oppressed and the innocent is deep, it flows through every [...]

11th Anniversary

It's been eleven years since we said,"I Do." Inside that little chapel at First Baptist, taking our first steps as Mr. and Mrs. We moved out of Texas 6 years ago, to a state you'd visited once and that I dreamed of living in. We've lived in Nacogdoches, Waco, Colorado Springs, Montrose, and Modesto before [...]

Mental Health Awareness Month | Suicide Prevention

Suicide prevention/awareness month isn't technically until October. But I wanted to address it this month because it so often is the result of untreated mental health issues. Having suicidal thoughts doesn't make someone weak or flawed. It can be a result of many factors. According to NAMI: According to the CDC, each year more than [...]

Mental Health Awareness Month | Cure Stigma

Today, I'm going to talk about the stigma surrounding mental health. Having been close to ministry and in a ministry dense life, I can tell you there is a lot of stigma surrounding mental health and the church. We need to do better. From NAMI: Stigma is when someone, or even you yourself, views a person [...]